AYSO's Mission is to develop and deliver quality youth soccer programs which promote a fun, family environment based on AYSO's Six Philosophies:
- Everyone Plays®
- Balanced Teams
- Open Registration
- Positive Coaching
- Good Sportsmanship
- Player Development
Current ref point listings have the point breakdown and current status.
Laws of the Games and Related Resources
Use the following links to be familiar with the laws and their application.
- Laws of the Game
- Amendments to the Laws of the Game
- Advice to Referees
- Offside Make Easy
- Laws of the Game Made Easy
- Guide to Procedures
Referee Training is done in stages built on each other. First is a U8 Certification, and allows you to referee U6 and U8. After taking the U8 class, you can take the Regional Referee class, which allows you to referee U6 - U12. Further stages are Intermediate Referee, Advanced Referee, and National Referee.
See the Training Dates for class dates and times.
3 Easy Steps explains how to become a referee.
FIFA Laws of the Game
Questions? Consult the FIFA Laws of the Game for the answer!
Common Excuses for not being a Referee
I don't know anything about the game!
All we ask of you is a little of your time and we will train you. The training can be done a little at a time or all at once, whichever is more convenient for you. We will not ask you to do anything you do not feel ready to try. We can guarantee you that, even if you have never refereed a game in your life, with a few hours of training, you will know more about the game of soccer than most Americans will ever know. We can also guarantee you that, if only as spectator, your appreciation and enjoyment of the game will increase.
I don't have the time!
The referees are free to choose the games they can do, which can be scheduled at your convenience, possibly just before or after the game your child is playing.
I don't think I could put up with the behavior of some coaches and spectators!
We do not want our referees to put up with it! Most of the adults and players involved in our program are here because we do not allow unsportsmanlike behavior. Our region has strict policies governing such behavior, and we are strongly committed to these policies. As a referee, we can teach you how to deal with these situation in a dignified and appropriate manner, and help us maintain the A.Y.S.O philosophy while setting a good example for our impressionable young players.
I'm not the right kind of person to be a referee, I'd be embarrassed!
All you need is to like kids and like to see them have fun playing soccer. We can teach you the rest. There is no need to feel embarrassed because we are all volunteers and we all make mistakes, even our most experiences referees. We would also make sure that you were always with an experienced referee for support.
I can't afford the equipment, and besides, I'm a woman and women don't referee!
Women certainly do referee, and make very good ones, too. This is exactly why we would like you to volunteer, we would like to have more women involved as referees. We provide most of the referee uniform and equipment.
I don't think I could keep up with the players. Some of them are pretty fast!
Most of us can't keep up with them either. We give the upper division games, with the faster players, to our fitter and more experienced referees. We still have plenty of lower division games on smaller fields where you would be able to keep up. Refereeing is also a good way to get a little exercise and have fun at the same time.
I don't think I could handle the responsibilities of the referee!
In time you will develop the confidence to referee, but even if you don't, you could provide vital assistance to the referee by being an assistant referee. We have several qualified referees who only work as assistant referees.
All you have to be is 12 years old. We will teach you how to referee games for the younger divisions. As a general rule, referees only do games for players younger than they are. We have a special Youth Referee Administrator and monitors on the fields to assist our younger referees.
Important Referee Instructions
- After each game, put your game cards in your FOLDER MARKED "GAME CARDS" located inside the ONSITE STORAGE BIN. If you need more ref cards, please ask your coordinator.
- U16 and U19 - These games are scheduled through the Area referee scheduler.
- U10, U12 and U14 - Ref's should be signing up for games using the Region 55 referee scheduler. Please do not sign up for your own child's game! Don't forget, earning referee points for your team is easy. You need only to do 1 center or 2 lines each Saturday to earn your teams required referee points.
- U6 and U8 - Home team supplies the referee, visiting team should supply the line persons. However, this is not mandatory! Please just have fun and keep the games safe and fair for the kids! If the home team referee is unavailable - any ref (visiting team) can step up and get the game played!
- Girls jerseys. It IS OK for the girls to roll up their jersey sleeves. Although a decision in Law 4 states that "jerseys must have sleeves," both USSF and AYSO do not agree with this decision and allow sleeveless jerseys on the field. The same holds true for teams that roll up their sleeves. This is perfectly legal. Also, velcro straps are allowed to hold the sleeves up provided that they have no metal clips and do not present and danger to themselves or other players on the field.
- We still have many referees signing up to ref their own teams games. Please do not sign up to Referee or be an Assistant Referee for your own team (or the team you are reffing for). This will only cause problems so let's nip it in the bud and end it now. We will begin to remove names from the referee scheduler if we see you signed up to ref your own teams game.
Region 55 will be holding special Referee Field Training clinics this Fall. This training program is designed for new Regional level referees, returning Regional level referees who have been reffing for 1 or 2 years, or for any Regional level referee who wants formalized field training that is unavailable in the Regional referee class.